Apply for Our Endorsement
The Southern Maine DSA (SMDSA) is a political activist organization dedicated to achieving social, political, environmental and economic justice for all people in our region. We endorse candidates running for office in Southern Maine, regardless of party designation, whose platform is in substantial alignment with our principles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply for endorsement?
Any eligible candidate who has declared their intention to run for public office in our region may apply. To qualify for endorsement, a candidate must secure the active support of three members of the SMDSA general body. These members must be named on the endorsement application questionnaire.
There shall be no more candidates endorsed in an election than the number of votes a voter can cast for that specific office in that election, except in the case of ranked choice voting.
What does an endorsement from SMDSA mean?
- The endorsement will be published in a press release.
- The SMDSA will publicize the candidate on website (photo, bio, and statement).
- The candidate may use the SMDSA’s endorsement in their own publicity campaign.
- The candidate will have support in acquiring any available assistance from the national DSA
- The candidate will have access to make announcements, presentations, and solicitations for support (monetary and volunteers to canvass) to membership at monthly meetings and through emails. Materials to be emailed must be submitted to the secretary in electronic format for distribution.
- Other events may be planned with the Executive Board or other committees and candidate.
When can I apply for endorsement?
|Date of Election||Application Cut-Off||SMDSA Endorsement Vote|
|1st Tues November||June 11 2018||July General Meeting 2nd Monday|
|2nd Tues June||2nd Tues in February||April General Meeting 2nd Monday|
Applications may be submitted up to one month before the application cut-off date.
How do I apply for endorsement?
It is the responsibility of the candidate to complete and submit his or her application for endorsement. There are four steps in the endorsement process.
Step 1: Nomination
To qualify for endorsement the candidate must secure the active support of three members of the Southern Maine DSA general body who must be named on the endorsement application questionnaire.
Step 2: Endorsement Application Questionnaire
Candidates must complete the online questionnaire, which asks for basic information about the candidate and their platform. Candidates may provide a resume and campaign literature, and any additional information pertinent to their eligibility for the office they seek. This information will be sent to the Executive Committee and made available to the general body for review.
Step 3: Interview
A special endorsement committee will interview the candidate and vote to recommend endorsement to the general body. The interview will be open to members of the general body.
Step 4: General Body Presentation and Vote
Recommended candidate(s) will make a three-minute presentation to the general membership at the meeting of the general body vote, after which the general body will vote on whether or not to endorse the candidate.